Friday, July 2, 2010

Dear Netflix stop freaking me out!



O.K. let me think this through:

The Virgin Spring

(Jungfrukällan)
1960NR89 minutes
On the way to deliver candles to a church, the virginal daughter (Birgitta Pettersson) of feudal landowner Töre (Max von Sydow) is savagely raped and murdered. But fate takes a vengeful hand when the killers unknowingly seek food and shelter at the girl's home. Will the grief-stricken Töre learn the truth about his visitors? Set in medieval Sweden, this disturbing tale directed by Ingmar Bergman earned an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.

Recommended based on your interest in Arrested Development, Season Two

Which is described as follows:

Arrested Development: Season 2
2004NR3 discs / 18 episodes
With George Bluth Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor) busting out of prison and never-nude "analrapist" Tobias (David Cross) running into the arms of the Blue Man Group, things have never been so bad for the put-upon Michael (Jason Bateman). But isn't that why we watch? The second hilarious season of this Emmy-winning series (narrated by Ron Howard) brings back all your favorite characters plus a few more, including rival magician Tony Wonder (Ben Stiller).

Really?












Hmmm...no. I still don't get it.

Are you saying that 



 is like


?

Now Netflix, I know you like to tell me you understand me. Pandora likes to mess with me like this too. Lull me into a false sense of belonging. Make me feel that I am deeply understood and completely accepted. And then, like any mad-hot relationship, one day I discover you don't know me at all.

Recently Pandora compared the musical genome of Husker Du with that of Peter Frampton. And now you pull this.

It is safe to say you are bugging me out. To further the creepiness you  choose to characterize my viewing as "emotional and cerebral" (which sounds like you are suggesting I need therapy) and use this as a basis for recommending films. How does this "emotional, cerebral" tag fit in with my ardor for Shameless and my endless passion for SouthPark?



  Matt and Trey are so pretty!

What was I talking about? Oh yes. Srsly Netflix you are making my head throb.

I have seen both  the Bergman and the tv show and I can't find any common ground.

It's sort of like recommending Carl Rove based on my interest in Justice or British Petroleum (RAT BASTARTDS!!!) based on my interest in clean energy or Miley Cyrus based on my interest in Paul Robeson.

 


...seriously odd. I feel completely misunderstood. Or perhaps you know me so intimately that I have yet to discover parts of myself that would recognize such a meaningful yet exquisitely subtle correlation between Virgin Spring and Arrested Development. Ouch and Whoa...spooky.

No comments: